Pages

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

More (Beautiful) Chaos

I am not sure exactly why the 1.5 number stuck in my head, but it did.  I was convinced that the park we had scheduled was 1.5 hours from where we were staying in Lebanon.  

When we got in the van, all packed up mid-day to start our anticipated short journey, Doug opened the GPS on his phone and exclaimed, "This can't be right!"  I quickly opened my Way Cool Pink iPad to the (apparently still unfamiliar) map app and lookie there! Four hours and eight minutes, 242 miles, in black and white.

It's real easy to preach to my kids about life not turning out the way you think it's going to, it's quite another to actually have a good attitude when it happens to me!

We made it to the camp site in daylight.  It was still 8:00pm, but that's only because half way through our day we passed  into Eastern time.  

We had the most amazing evening watching 10,000 fire flies on the bank of the river that runs near our camp.  I have seen a firefly here and there before, but nothing like this.  They were everywhere! The kids caught a bunch of them in a plastic container and we watched them up close.

So what started out as a pretty frustrating day ended up with beauty and blessing.  

And Some day we will arrive at a campsite before bedtime.  And I promise I'll write about it.

3 comments:

  1. We just had a day similar to this and I know what you mean about having to practice what I preach about keeping a positive attitude! I am trying to approach each day as an adventure... but, I am a work in progress! ;)

    The firefly catching sounds like so much fun! That is childhood summer at its best! -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up welcoming summer catching fireflies in June. I occasionally see them in Texas but it just isn't the same. What little wonders they are! Wish I could bring you one of my favorite books that I saved from childhood written by a friend of my parents.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  3. My old stompin ground... spent my first 20 years in Tri-cities area (johnson city, kingsport, Bristol). Which is where you were when you went east from Knoxville 1.5 hours. :) Have fun in VA... hope you are heading to my favorite place Williamsburg! Our very favorite family vacation was there!
    -Chawna

    ReplyDelete